Welcome, guest. You are not logged in.
Log in or join for free!
Stay logged in
Forgot login details?

Stay logged in

For free!
Get started!

Text page

crest evolution

Arsenal Shirt Badge

Unveiled in 1888, Royal Arsenal's
first crest featured three
cannon viewed from above,
pointing northwards, similar to
thecoat of arms of the
Metropolitan Borough of
. These can sometimes be
mistaken for chimneys, but the
presence of a carved lion's head
and acascabel on each are clear
indicators that they are cannon. This was dropped after the
move to Highbury in 1913, only to
be reinstated in 1922, when the
club adopted a crest featuring a
single cannon, pointing
eastwards, with the club's
nickname, The Gunners, inscribed
alongside it; this crest only
lasted until 1925, when the
cannon was reversed to point
westward and its barrel slimmed
down. In 1949, the club
unveiled a modernised crest
featuring the same style of
cannon below the club's name,
set inblackletter, and above the
coat of arms of the Metropolitan
Borough of Islington and a scroll
inscribed with the club's newly-
adopted Latinmotto, Victoria
Concordia Crescit "victory
comes from harmony", coined
by the club's programme editor
Harry Homer. For the first
time, the crest was rendered in
colour, which varied slightly over
the crest's lifespan, finally
becoming red, gold and green.
Because of the numerous
revisions of the crest, Arsenal
were unable to copyright it.
Although the club had managed
to register the crest as a
trademark, and had fought (and
eventually won) a long legal battle
with a local street trader who
sold "unofficial" Arsenal
merchandise, Arsenal
eventually sought a more
comprehensive legal protection.
Therefore, in 2002 they
introduced a new crest featuring
more modern curved lines and a
simplified style, which was
copyrightable. The cannon
once again faces east and the
club's name is written in asans-
serif typeface above the cannon.
Green was replaced by dark blue.
The new crest was criticised by
some supporters; the Arsenal
Independent Supporters'
Association claimed that the club
had ignored much of Arsenal's
history and tradition with such a
radical modern design, and that
fans had not been properly
consulted on the issue.
Until the 1960s, a badge was
worn on the playing shirt only for
high-profile matches such as FA
Cup finals, usually in the form of
amonogram of the club's initials
in red on a white background. The monogram theme was
developed into anArt Deco-style
badge on which the letters A and
C framed a football rather than
the letter F, the whole set within
a hexagonal border. This early
example of a corporate logo,
introduced as part of Herbert
Chapman's rebranding of the
club in the 1930s, was used not
only on Cup Final shirts but as a
design feature throughout
Highbury Stadium, including
above the main entrance and
inlaid in the floors. From
1967, a white cannon was
regularly worn on the shirts, until
replaced by the club crest,
sometimes with the addition of
the nickname "The Gunners", in
the 1990s.

In the 2011–2012 season,
Arsenal will celebrate their 125th
year anniversary. The
celebrations will include a
modified version of the current
crest worn on their jerseys for
the season. The crest is all white,
surrounded by 15 oak leaves to
the right and 15 laurel leaves to
the left. The oak leaves
represent the 15 founding
members of the club who met at
the Royal Oak pub. The 15 laurel
leaves represent the design
detail on the six pence pieces
paid by the founding fathers to
establish the club. The laurel
leaves also represent
strength.To complete the crest,
1886 and 2011 are shown on
either sides of the motto
"Forward" at the bottom of the

This page:

Help/FAQ | Terms | Imprint
Home People Pictures Videos Sites Blogs Chat