Welcome, guest. You are not logged in.
Log in or join for free!
Stay logged in
Forgot login details?

Stay logged in

For free!
Get started!

Text page

images - Animals/Nature Building


Lošinj is an island in the western line of Kvarner group of islands. It is separated from the island Cres by 11 m wide artificial channel (Osorski tjesnac), with the bridge. Lošinj is 31 km long.

The ground is mostly from cretaceous lime stone and dolomits, while at the west side of the penninsula Kurila there is some detritus of sand. The north and south parts of the island are eveidentaly wider and broader than the middle part, narrow zonw called Privlaka. At the west side of Privlaka there is a vast bay which is considered as the one of the most beautiful bays of the Adriatic coast with two coves: Kovcanja and port Mali Lošinj. In the line of bays south of the bay Čikat is distinguished.

The northwest coast of the island Lošinj is steep, rocky and due to its unindentedness it is not suitable for putting in. The middle part of the west coast is very indented. The east coast is more laid down than the west one. In the middle part it is not indented and is exposed to the north-east winds, while at the southeast part there are numerous bays. The climate on the island is mild and is full of evergreen vegetation (myrtle, laurel etc.) Pine woods are arround Veli Lošinj, Čikat and alongside of southwest coast.

Once important by its nautical and shipping role, Lošinj became at the end of the 19th century one of the island with higher developement of tourism, and in 1892. Mali and Veli Lošinj were proclaimed as the climate places.
Beside tourism, the important role in the economy has shipping and fishing. The center of the island is Mali Lošinj, center of the traffic lines with other settlement of the island with neighbouring islands and land.

Lošinj was inhabited in prehistoric times (ruins around port Mali Lošinj). In the Antic period Lošinj and Cres had common name Apsirtide. The remnants of the Roman villas were found on several locations such as villae rusticae Liski and Saint Jacob. From the Romanesque period a few eremitic churches were preserved: Saint Lovreć, Saint Peter, Saint Jacob. The first inhabitants from the land were mentioned in 1280. and their settlement gained by contract with Osor in 1389. the local autonomy. The name Lošinj was first mentioned in documents in 1384. (Isola di Lussin). In 18th and 19th century the island went through intensive development of trade, shipping industry and maritime.

This page:

Help/FAQ | Terms | Imprint
Home People Pictures Videos Sites Blogs Chat