Welcome, guest. You are not logged in.
Log in or join for free!
Stay logged in
Forgot login details?

Stay logged in

For free!
Get started!

Text page

kv grb


Kraljevo (Serbian Cyrillic: Краљево) is a city and municipality located in Serbia at 43.74° N 20.67° E, built beside the river Ibar, 7 km west of its confluence with the Zapadna Morava; and in the midst of an upland valley, between the Kotlenik Mountains, in the north, and the Stolovi Mountains, in the south.

Time zone CET (UTC+1)
- Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)

In 2002 the city (including its suburb area) had population of 82,846 (municipality: 121,707). It is the administrative center of the Raška District of Serbia. The city proper consists of 16 settlements. In 1991, Kraljevo-proper had 80,559 inhabitants. Because of the enormous number of refugees from Kosovo (around 18,500) and Bosnia and Herzegovina, today the population of Kraljevo-proper is estimated to be close to 100,000.

Kraljevo received its present name, signifying "the King's Town", from King Milan (1868-1889)

By far its most interesting feature is the Coronation church belonging to Žiča monastery. Here seven kings are said to have been crowned (seven crowns on coat of arms represents seven kings). The church is Byzantine in style, and has been partially restored; but the main tower dates from the year 1210, when it was founded by Saint Sava, the patron saint of Serbia.

The famous monastery of Studenica, 39 km south by west of Kraljevo, stands high up among the south-western mountains, overlooking the Studenica, a tributary of the Ibar. It consists of a group of old-fashioned timber and plaster buildings, a tall belfry, and a diminutive church of white marble, founded in 1190 by King Stephen Nemanya, who himself turned monk and was canonized as Saint Simeon. The carvings round the north, south and west doors have been partially defaced by the Turks. The inner walls are decorated with Byzantine frescoes, among which only a painting of the Last Supper, and the portraits of five saints, remain unrestored. The dome and narthex are modern additions. Besides the silver shrine of Saint Simeon, many gold and silver ornaments, church vessels and old manuscripts, there are a set of vestments and a reliquary, believed by the monks to have been the property of Saint Sava who founded first hospital in Studenica in 13th century.

Sister cities
Sainte Foy-lès-Lyon (Rhône), France
Sendenhorst, Germany
Ahlen, Germany

Postal code 36000
Car plates KV
Area code +381 36 (Official city website) (Official municipality website)

This page:

Help/FAQ | Terms | Imprint
Home People Pictures Videos Sites Blogs Chat